Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mutluyum! (I'm happy!)


I did it!! I was finally able to write a letter to my grandparents in Turkish ALL BY MYSELF!!! (Sort of, my teacher helped me get my spelling perfect).

Here's what it says (or what it's intended to say, at least):

Hello my dearest Grandma and Grandpa, How are you? I'm very well! At the end of May I will be graduating from the University of Kansas. I'm very excited. My dad and his wife will be coming but my mom and Marty aren't able to make it. This summer they will be visiting me--in Chicago! I have a successful career in radio so I'm moving there.

As you can see, I've been learning a little Turkish...! I've always wanted to be able to write you a letter in Turkish. God willing, one day I will be able to speak really well too.


I hope I can visit you all soon. I miss and love you all very much.


I kiss your hands (in Turkish, this is a sort of non-literal term of endearment),
Rana (my Turkish middle name that my g-parents call me)

Say hello to everyone for me!

3 comments:

laura said...

SXEXY

Nick said...

I work with a Turkish woman who's a linguist. If I'd known, I could've hooked you up with some serious help.

kid extraordinaire said...

If you're talking about M. Taneri, the Turkish linguist and language professor at KU, she's been my teacher for the last two years and is the reason that I no longer need any serious help.