
When making the daily trek to your 9-to-5, it's easy to turn a piece of scenery into a companion of sorts. Certain landmarks become familiar faces you look forward to seeing every day. They also act as a marker indicating where you are on your journey, and how much longer you have to go.
For me, it is this pink building that starts to peak out along Lake Shore Dr right around Lawrence Ave. After a slight turn around the Foster Ave exit, she pops out completely as seen in the photo above. At this point I know that my exit is coming up and I'm only about 5 minutes away from my desk-tination (Loyola University.)
I adore this building. The color is like no other building along the lake shore and the way the top three stories are painted white summons the idea of cream atop a pile of strawberry pudding. And the little flag waving on top! What is this building? Does it house a princess? Is it full of poodles?
I don't know the answer, and really I don't think I want to know. Our relationship is meant to be simple and elusive like that.
I've had others, of course. The McDonald's pit-stop on I-70, between Kansas City and Lawrence, always lifted my spirits a little because I knew I'd be home in a matter of miles:
(photo credit: Flickr member My Blue Dragon)
And others have others. I remember well over a year and half ago I was visiting Dave in Chicago and while biking around he wanted me to get a shot of him and his lady. He looks forward to seeing her everyday along Chicago Ave on the way to his job in River North. Unlike my chunky pink building or the Mickey D's, she really does appear to be a lady...prancing on the tippy-top of an antique building, pointing him in the direction he needs to go...

No comments:
Post a Comment