Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Flicka Flicka Flicka, Here You Are

After a good, hard rain this afternoon I came across this gorgeous little creature inbetween classes. A perfect opportunity to use my favorite feature on my camera: digital macro!! I stuck around to make sure this little guy/gal made it safely across to the bush he/she was targeting before heading off.

My best friend Bobby B. helped me pick out my digital camera last year. It's a Canon Powershot SD630 and the best digital camera I've owned, especially for the price.

I'm all for getting as much color on this blog as possible...check it out.

(click to imbiggen)


"Oh, dood, I'm totally making this my default photo."

Update:
My boss at the library is also an entomologist, and was able to help me identify this caterpillar. Turns out SHE'S an Antheraea polyphemus, a type of giant silk moth named after the mythological Greek cyclops. Sadly, I read that once she forms a cocoon and becomes a moth, she will only live for less than a week due to having a vestigial (reduced-functioning) mouth. Here's her future state, in all its existential glory:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have some half-assed Sony Cyber-Shot, but the macro shots I can take with it are usually my best. It's too bad that we didn't become closer friends before I left, we most likely would take walks together, and have to stop every block or so to cheer over something odd on the ground. (Or at least that's how I imagine it.)

kid extraordinaire said...

You're right. I keep losing all my Kansans right when things are starting to get good...sand, sand, sand and hands.

Nate Martin said...

Yep, Lawrence is a sinking ship. Everyone leaves. Get out before you get boat stroke.

I also have a shitty Sony. I don't even think it has a macro setting, but I'm not sure. I got it because my photographer friend had one and I didn't know any better. I saw her this weekend and had it and she was like, "Oh, this is just like that shitty Sony I used to have that you broke." I didn't actually break it. It just fell apart.

Do you have an old digital camera that doesn't suck and that you would sell to me?