Went bowling with Gabe, Chris Shively, some Dutch girls, and a bunch of ex-Lawrencians. It was great to see Gabe, he'll be moving up here soon. This town is perfect for him. Shively is a gas...to this day I still can't stop thinking he looks like Cameron Frye. Met a sweetheart ex-larry named Jenna who I remember from before but have never been introduced til this weekend. She's going to be Gabe's new roomie down in Wicker Park so perhaps our paths will cross again.
By the way, one of the coolest places to bowl is Lincoln Square Lanes. Hasn't been redecorated since the 70s. Sits on the second floor above a hardware store. Totally awesome.
Ended the night with "dinner" (fried bar food) at a pub called the Leadway. Luckily we rode our bikes, otherwise I probably would have experienced a coma from all the grease.
Saturdee:
Back on the bikes, the mister and I rode down to the Music Box to see Werner Herzog's new documentary Encounters at the End of the World. There are some amazing shots...I've always been fascinated with the idea of Antarctica. It's pretty much the closest thing on earth to being on the moon and the idea that, although very unlikely, I could technically visit there makes me very enamored with the place.
In other news, Werner Herzog is the biggest hipster on earth. He's also a total asshole sometimes. He makes fun of the people he interviews in the film constantly and pretty much acts too cool for Antarctica (pun intended). But in the end, this is one of the things that makes the film interesting.
After the movie we sit down at the 'ol Julius Meinl for dinner, tea, dessert and a 3.5 hour conversation and decide we're going to India sometime in the near future.
Sundee:
Although many religions believe in rest on the sabbath day, we hit the roads on our bikes again, this time to see the new documentary about Hunter S. Thompson, Gonzo.... It was terrific.
My friend Adam (Bemis) was in town for a wedding. He's a great guy and always really fun to talk to so we met up with him and some other folks for margaritas and Mexican food. Adam and Gabe are really good friends and they both happened to be in Chicago at the same time but just barely missed each other.
Anyway, we ate out way too much this weekend and this morning Dave woke up with a burrito hangover. We've vowed to cool it with the eating out from now on. I'm about to make a spinach artichoke pasta salad for dinner to teach us a lesson.
Next weekend: Joe and Anastasia stay at the Two Noses Inn for Pitchfork and big city fun and French consulate-ing. Dave and I are totally going to see Public Enemy and it is going to ROCKROCKROCK!


No comments:
Post a Comment