Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Weekend in Review

Fridee:
1. Dinner with Emily and Josh (and technically their unborn little guy) at Upudi Palace, yummy southern Indian cuisine on Devon Ave.
2. Movies in the Park:  E.T. the Extraterrestrial at Sauganash Park, a great time with the exception of all the hungry hungry mosquitos.

Big mama dosai at Udupi Palace

Saturdee:
1. Brunch with the lovely Laura P. at my now forever favorite place ever, Julius Meinl.  Ate a delicious baked banana french toast and shared an almond croissant.  A lovely time with the exception of our brain dead waitress.
2. Laura and I head to amazing Farmer's Market Garden Center on Elston Ave.  Laura invests in a Better Boy tomato plant.  I invest in mint: peppermint for us, catmint for my little Miro.
3.  Back at home, the latest Netflix arrival is PRIMECUT, featuring forever badass Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman.  Totally a guy's movie (there's a scene with naked chicks laying in hay in a barn while men in cowboy hats eat plates piled high with meat), but there are some great shots of Kansas City and Chicago throughout the film.  The mister and I spend the rest of the evening calling each other, "You 'ol sow-belly pig, you!"
4. The mister and I head on a blastin' speed grocery run to Treasure Island, Whole Foods, and Stanley's Fruit and Vegetables.  I've heard about Stanley's for quite some time now and it's as awesome as it was described.  Ridiculously cheap produce, non-stop 80s music over the loudspeakers.
5. We meet back up with Laura and her best pals Max and Jess for an awesome night at Smart Bar, where New Order/Joy Division's brilliant bassist Peter Hook does a DJ set that had us dancing for at least two hours straight, no stopping.  I seriously weigh 2 pounds less this week from all the exercise.


Yeah, Hooky!

Sundee
1. Spend the afternoon finishing this photo frame project I've been working on and tidying up the house for our first official dinner guests, my pals Haley and Jason who I've known for years from my Kansas City days.
2. Haley and Jason come over for D's delicious Gado Gado, some fruit salad, and mojitos.  We talk about wolf whistlers, raw coffee, and punk rock bakeries.

Gado Gado, pre-peanut sauce 

Next weekend:  my sister spends her last weekend of freedom (just landed her first real job!) with us in Chicago!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

whoa, i always see your name in comments on patrick and laura's blogs but i never realized this was you. i don't know why since the name is totally fitting. and that gado gado looks delicious.

kid extraordinaire said...

I see your comments on Annie, Laura, and Patrick's blog and they always make me spit out my drink in laughter. You owe me milk money.

T. Rux said...

I've wanted to see Prime Cut for quite some time now. I've heard that it provides a realistic depiction of what Kansas City was like in the 1970s.